Sunday, November 06, 2011

The Church Bazaar, Earthquakes and More

It all started on Friday night with a Facebook message from the woman who grows herbs and other lovely things. She knew I would want to know. She knew I would want these things, just as much as I want things like red ruffled basil. She regularly saw my Facebook photos of pretty, sparkly, vintage things acquired here and there. So when she saw tables laden with these pretties at the church bazaar, she was kind enough to let me know. First was a Facebook message, and she told me had even taken photos for me. Immediately I sent her my phone number and then the text arrived, with a slideshow attached of three photographs of things magpies - and I - would love.

But, as is so often the case in any story, there was an obstacle to overcome.

The beautiful sparklies were a 35 minute drive away, and the sale would start at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning. A Saturday I had slated for sleeping in and then cleaning for the arrival of my friend, Wayne, in the afternoon. But, while I considered this dilemma of needing to be in more than one place at a time, I knew Saturday would find me headed east toward the beautiful things.

And so it was.

I was the only one there at 8 a.m. and immediately found the table of pins from the previous night's photograph. I began scooping up handfuls of beautiful things. They were only a nickel or a quarter or maybe a little more because they weren't perfect. Missing stones here and there and bent or broken pin backs made others think they were not worthy of love anymore. But, I have love to give them.

A brief break was required to go and procure more cash to add more pretties to my collection. I returned home with my new treasures and tidied up a bit before Wayne arrived. When I showed him my new things he thought his daughter would love some of them. So, we turned around and went back so he could get some things for her. Of course, I found a couple more things.

Some will find their way into artwork. Some will find their way into ornaments. Some will find their way into the world again, adorning my clothes.

Wayne and I spent the afternoon and evening together, visiting and talking and laughing. Late Saturday we were sitting in the living room, cozy in our jammies, listening to the wind gusts, when the house seemed to move from side to side. Literally, move from side to side. It happened just as a huge gust of wind hit. We thought it must have been a train who's whistle was obscured by the wind. The mirror on the living room wall shook. It continued for about a minute. Only later did I learn we were feeling the earthquake that hit Oklahoma.

Growing up near the New Madrid fault line, I've been in many earthquakes, but this one was very different. It was almost like it was in slow motion, for lack of a better term. But it really did feel like the house shifted east-west. It was odd.

It was wonderful to be with Wayne. There was pie at Carriage Crossing last night, and warmed cinnamon rolls with hot tea this morning, and much discussion about topics large and small. Greg joined us for pie last night and at this morning's flea market.

Oh... did I not mention the flea market and the tea on Sunday? Well, it was a full weekend... more details to follow...

Connect with me on Facebook or Twitter

No comments: